Choreographing Your Search
What can be learned here?
How are archives and research collections different from other libraries?
- Fragile and handwritten documents require careful handling.
- Expect the research to go slowly; learn the organization of the collection first.
- Expect to learn from the arrangement of the materials, as well as their content.
- Be prepared for several visits to gather all desired information.
- Be prepared to take notes when photocopying is not allowed.
- Be prepared for languages other than English.
- Each institution has rules and regulations for research.
- Each institution may catalog materials differently.
- Some collections within the institution may not yet be cataloged.
- Sometimes access to particular collections is restricted for legal or other reasons.